Reinforcements are something I deal with on a day to day
basis. My student with behavioral disorders uses different types of
reinforcements and the key to their success is consistency. When the
consequence that strengthens a behavior is the appearance of a new stimuli, the
situation is defined as positive reinforcement. In contrast, when the
consequence that strengthens a behavior is the disappearance of a stimulus, the
process is called negative reinforcement (Wilfolk 251). I use a task strip that
consists of 10 tabs, and every morning I thoroughly set expectations for my
student and he knows for every 5 minutes of appropriate behavior a time will
ding and he will be able to put a tab down. When all the tabs are down, he
earns what he was working for. However, within the 5 minute time frame if he
exhibits any tallied behavior I will have to restart the timer and he will have
to try again. If any physical behavior is demonstrated the time will not only
be reset but he will also have to put an earned tab back up. As challenging as
it is always remembering to set the time, bringing the tangible in case we are
transitioning, along with carrying all that I have to carry, it is imperative
to remember to stay on top of the behavior plan to ensure the appropriate success
of modeling positive reinforcement. The more you lack on not remembering to use
these things the more negative behavior will prevail.
Working in elementary, I see and hear a lot of things that I
remembered hearing when I was a kid, I even use some of the same expressions my
old teachers used. Why do teachers want to torment us with all these rules? Teachers
try to promote teaching upstanding individuals by doing what they can to
promote a fun yet disciplined learning environment. Kids need discipline.
Rules for Elementary School. Evertson and Elmer (2009) give
four examples of general rules for elementary school classes:
1.) Respect and be polite to all people. Give clear
explanations of what you mean by “polite,” include not hitting, fighting, or
teasing.
2.) Be prompt and prepared.
3 3.) Listen quietly while others are speaking.
4 4.) Obey all school rules
I chose to elaborate the first rule because it is one I am
always promoting with all 6 boys in my classroom. A 6th grader does
not grasp the concept of holding the door for the elderly, saying please and
thank you when your parents are not around and the scenarios can go on and on.
I use my tone as a reminder that this is how we are supposed to act while we
are at school and hopefully out in the community. The other reminders are to help instill a
sense of order in the kids to help mold them for their future in a functioning
society.
No comments:
Post a Comment